Lending their purifying and citrusy aromas to this recipe, lemon tea tree and tangerine essential oils are the two star ingredients in these must-make pods.
If you’re not already familiar with lemon tea tree, it’s a single essential oil from the Melaleuca ericifolia plant. It’s less medicinal in scent than traditional tea tree.
To use, place just one of these biodegradable pods at the bottom of your kitchen garbage pail, or you can tape it to the underside of the lid, to help maintain a clean, fresh scent. Replace each time you take out the trash. (These can also be used for outdoor trash cans.) Prep your flexible ice cube tray with oil and let’s begin!
- In mixing bowl, combine baking soda and essential oils. Stir until well combined.
- Gradually add water while mixing, until moist clumps form.
- Lightly coat flexible ice cube tray with oil. Portion and press mixture into molds.
- Let sit 24 to 48 hours, or until pods are firm enough to pop out of tray.
- To use, tape 1 pod onto underside of kitchen garbage pail lid or toss in bottom of pail.
Note: You can also use a combination essential oil like lemon and eucalyptus or lemon and tea tree.