Scan a spa’s skin care menu, and you’ll notice some of their star ingredients can be found in your pantry. Sugar? Sure! Honey? If it’s raw, definitely. Even clay is okay. But you don’t often see spices listed anywhere. Popular seasonings, such as turmeric, are actually beneficial in brightening, evening and smoothing skin tone. So before you shell out a pretty penny at the spa, try your own beautifying facial mask at home. After one treatment of this natural brightening turmeric mask, you’ll never look at your spice rack the same again.
Makes one 4-ounce jar
Garbanzo bean flour – This is the base that will make the mixture a nice pasty texture.
Avocado oil – It’s rich in fatty acids, helping to keep your skin plump and moisturized.
Turmeric – About 1-2 teaspoons should do the trick. As long as you don’t use too much, you won’t have to worry about this brightly colored spice turning your skin yellow. It may, however, stain your clothes, so be careful not to make a huge mess.
Rose hip oil – Rose hip combats discoloration that’s often caused by sun damage. This one from Aura Cacia also features vitamin E to help heal and soothe.
Water – Add just enough to create the right texture.
- Fill your jar about 1/3 of the way with garbanzo bean flour.
- Add just a teaspoon of turmeric (you can adjust as needed).
- Pour just a tad bit of avocado oil and 2 pumps of rose hip oil.
- Add a little water and stir until well-combined. If it’s too watery, add more flour (and vice versa).
- Apply all over face and let it sit until dry.
- When skin feels tight, it’s time to rinse off the mask with warm water. Pat dry.
- Let scrub sit 5 minutes before rinsing off.