Move over, marinara! There’s a new sauce in season. This vegan-friendly, fall-inspired pasta sauce is a creamy dream that you’ll look forward to making year after year. Combine sweet butternut squash with almond milk, onions, garlic and your favorite seasonings for a flavorful pasta topping your family will love. Instead of emptying out a jar of red sauce over a pot of penne, try this fresh sauce while you still can.
16 oz. penne pasta, cooked
3-1/2 cups butternut squash cubes
2 cups vegetable broth or water
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
3/4 cup almond milk
1 Tbsp. oil
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp. red chili flakes
1-1/2 cups greens, chopped (mix of spinach, kale and chard)
Salt and black pepper, to taste
Shredded dairy-free cheese, optional
1. In pan, heat 2 tsp. oil over medium heat. When hot, add onion and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add butternut squash and salt and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
3. Stir in broth or water, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes on medium heat until squash softens.
4. Using an immersion blender, puree cooked squash into smooth sauce. (Note: If you don't have an immersion blender, let mixture cool before using a regular blender.)
4. Stir in almond milk, black pepper, red chili flakes and Italian seasoning. Add salt and pepper.
6. In another pan, heat 1 tsp. oil and add greens. Cook for 2 minutes or until greens wilt. Add prepared butternut squash sauce and boiled pasta.
7. Mix everything together and serve with some shredded vegan cheese on top if you wish!
If you’re hungry for more, download our vegan recipe book.