Even better than a cozy blanket, a roaring fire or a mug of creamy hot chocolate, a bowl of piping hot soup can warm you all the way through on the coldest of winter days. As convenient as it is to pop open a can to quickly chase away the chills, you’ll likely be spooning down scores of sodium and other undesirable ingredients when you opt for ready-made instead of homemade. With a recipe as easy as this, you’ll have heat and a healthy meal you’ll want to make again and again—even after the snow melts.
Homemade Tomato Soup With Gluten-Free Croutons
Homemade Tomato Soup
1 (28-oz.) can whole tomatoes
1 cup vegetable broth
½ cup coconut milk
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp. coconut oil
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, diced
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
Gluten-Free Cheddar-Dill Croutons
2 cups chickpea flour
1/3 cup chopped dill
¾ cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
2 cups water
¼ tsp. salt
- To make croutons, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line 8” square pan with parchment paper. In a large bowl, mix together all crouton ingredients (except water) and mix well; stir in water until incorporated. Pour batter into pan and bake for 20 minutes until top is dry. Remove pan from oven and let cool 10 minutes; slice croutons into 16 squares, then cut in half diagonally for 32 triangles.
- Preheat broiler to high with rack moved to top third of oven. Line large baking sheet with high-temperature parchment paper and arrange croutons on sheet. Broil for 3-4 minutes until tops being to brown. Remove sheet from oven and let croutons cool.
- To make soup, in large pot, heat coconut oil over medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic for 5-8 minutes until softened. Pour in broth and tomatoes and season with pepper and salt. Bring soup to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In blender or food processor, puree soup in batches, or use immersion blender to process smooth. If using blender or food processor, return soup to pot; stir in coconut milk and balsamic vinegar. Warm soup over low heat until heated through.
- Serve soup garnished with croutons.