Some sandwiches are meant to be open faced. Trust me, you wouldn’t want a second slice of bread to block you from enjoying the rich and creamy ricotta-black olive filling of this sandwich. It’s all topped with arugula, juicy tomato slices and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar for a creation so heavenly you’d swear each bite was your destiny.
Ricotta & Black Olive Open Sandwich
Serves 2 to 4
8 black Kalamata olives (can use Ponentine or Gaeta)
4, ¼-inch slices crusty whole grain ciabatta or large oval bread
1 cup loosely packed arugula
1 large or 2 small field tomatoes, sliced
1 clove garlic, halved crosswise
Sea salt, to taste
Ground black pepper, to taste
½ cup whole milk ricotta cheese
1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- In a broiler, on a grill or in a toaster, toast bread until well browned and very crunchy.
- Rub halved garlic onto one side of each slice of bread and drizzle with olive oil. Set aside on a serving plate.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine olives, ricotta cheese and ground black pepper.
- Scoop olive-cheese onto mixture onto bread. Add tomato slices and arugula. Top with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and a sprinkle of sea salt.
- If desired, slice bread in half before serving.