Some mornings, you’re go-go-go, while others, you tend to laze around a little bit longer. So if you have some extra time this weekend, take the opportunity to make these delicious, gluten-free gingerbread pancakes. This festive breakfast is one your family will truly appreciate as it calls for your favorite seasonal flavors such as cinnamon, cloves, allspice, ginger and nutmeg. If the rising sun doesn’t wake up your household, the sweet fragrance of these spiced pancakes sure will! Top it off with a dollop of vegan coconut milk whipped cream for an added touch—because, why not?
Makes 5 pancakes
1 cup buckwheat flour
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1-1/2 tbsp. coconut sugar
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
pinch ground nutmeg
pinch ground cloves
1 large egg or flax egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup milk of choice
1 tbsp. molasses
2-1/2 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- In bowl, sift buckwheat flour, baking powder, salt, coconut sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice and cloves.
- In another bowl, whisk egg, vanilla extract, milk, molasses and coconut oil. Mix until well combined.
- Add dry ingredients into wet, mix until combined but remember to not over-mix. Few streaks of flour are OK.
- Spray pan or skillet with cooking spray and heat. Once the skillet gets really hot, add around 1/3 cup batter.
- Cook until edges begin to dry and you see some bubbles on top, around 2 minutes. Flip pancake and cook the other side for additional 2 minutes. Remove pancake from skillet.
- Spray pan with non-stick spray for each new pancake that you make.
- Serve pancakes with maple syrup and whipped cream!
Shop your gluten-free destination to stock up on all the ingredients you need for this recipe at Vitacost.com (how convenient, right?).