Pastelón – Dominican Sweet Plantain Casserole
- 8 sweet plantains (peeled and halved (optional: remove core and black seeds))
- 3 tsp. Vitacost Himalayan Pink Salt
- 2 cups water ((approx.))
- 1-½ – 2 Tbsp. Organic Valley Ghee Butter
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 1 lb. ground turkey breast
- 1 medium summer squash or zucchini
- 4 Tbsp. Cento All Purpose Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- ½ yellow onion (minced)
- 1 tsp. Vitacost Himalayan Pink Salt
- ½ tsp. Simply Organic Black Pepper
- ½ tsp. Turmeric
- 2 tsp. Italian herb, adobo or sofrito seasoning
- 1 tsp. Bragg Organic Raw Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. Simply Organic Crushed Red Pepper
- 8 oz. mozzarella cheese
Notes: For a vegan variation, use dairy-free cheese and vegan butter. Substitute turkey with sautéed tomatoes and eggplant or minced sautéed mushrooms with onions.
- In saucepan, cover plantains with water and salt. (Note: Fill with enough water to just cover plantains; do not overfill). Boil for 20 minutes.
- Drain water and let plantains cool slightly.
- In bowl, mash plantains with potato masher.
- Stir in butter and eggs until well combined.
- Peel and grate squash. Squeeze out water using hands or cheese cloth and set aside.
- Season turkey with salt, pepper, turmeric, garlic, onion, Italian, adobo or sofrito seasoning, vinegar. Add 1 Tbsp. olive oil and mix well. (Note: Do not overmix.)
- In skillet over medium heat, combine turkey and squash and cook 10-15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, crushed red peppers and 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease 8x8-inch glass casserole dish with butter.
- In dish, spread half of plantain mixture. Top with turkey mixture, then sprinkle on half of mozzarella cheese.
- Top with remaining plantain mixture, then additional mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 30 minutes.
- Let cool slightly before serving.