Savory Spinach & Feta Tarts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ Tbsp. sugar
- 2 sticks unsalted butter (cubed)
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 egg
- 2 bags frozen chopped spinach
- 2 shallots (sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 8 oz. container mushrooms (sliced)
- Pinch cumin
- Pinch smoked paprika
- Pinch kosher salt
- Pinch pepper
- ¼ cup fresh mint
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- 3 Tbsp. fresh oregano
- ½ cup feta cheese
- Salt flakes
- Sesame seeds
- In stand mixer, combine flour, salt and sugar.
- Add butter and mix on low for 10 seconds until all butter is coated in flour.
- Scrape bowl and mix on low for 30 seconds until dough begins to break up and crumble.
- Slowly add water as dough is mixing; stop once dough is shaggy.
- Divide dough in half, pat each half into a disk, wrap in plastic and chill for at least 1 1/2 hours.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Unwrap dough and place on baking sheet.
- Using rolling pin, roll each piece of dough to ¼-inch thickness.
- Cut each piece into five roughly 6x5-inch rectangles, making 10 rectangles. (Note: A 5-wheel accordion cutter or pastry wheel both work well here.)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Over mixing bowl, place strainer lined with cheesecloth.
- In sauté pan over medium-low heat, add spinach and oil and sauté about 5 minutes.
- Transfer spinach to strainer to drain; let cool to room temperature.
- Using cheesecloth, wring out liquid from spinach; transfer to mixing bowl and set aside.
- In sauté pan, cook shallots and garlic until they sweat. (Note: Do not brown.) Let cool and add to bowl with spinach.
- On baking sheet, arrange mushrooms, season with cumin, paprika, salt and pepper and bake until golden. Let cool. (Note: Leave oven on.)
- In food processor, pulse together mint, parsley and oregano until fine, then transfer into spinach mixture.
- In food processor, pulse mushrooms. Use cheesecloth to strain a bit and add to spinach mixture.
- Add feta and stir to combine all filling ingredients.
- In small bowl, beat egg with a few drops of water to make egg wash.
- Place spoonful of filling in center of five dough rectangles.
- Smooth out filling, allowing for ¼-inch dough border. Brush edges of each with egg wash. Position remaining, unfilled rectangles over each and press down firmly with fingers around edges.
- Using fork tines, crimp edges of each tart.
- Glaze top of each tart with egg wash; use fork to pierce tops several times; sprinkle with sesame seeds and salt flakes.
- Bake 15 minutes or until golden. Let cool slightly before eating.