Pearled Barley & Veggie Chopped Salad
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 4 cups water
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 cucumbers (halved lengthwise and sliced into 1-inch pieces)
- ½ pint cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 6 radishes (sliced thin)
- 2 cups broccoli (blanched, chilled and chopped)
- ¼ cup red onion (sliced thin)
- ½ cup roasted red peppers (drained and rinsed)
- 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- Freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- ½ cup fresh parsley
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- In medium-sized saucepan, bring water and salt to boil; add barley. Partially cover saucepan with lid, reduce heat to simmer and cook 30 minutes. (Note: Barley should be al dente. Be careful not to overcook or it will become mushy.)
- Strain barley and rinse with cold water.
- In large bowl, combine barley, cucumber, cherry tomato, radish, broccoli and red onion.
- In blender, combine red peppers, vinegar, oil, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth. Add parsley and blend until parsley is chopped into small pieces.
- Pour dressing over barley and vegetables and stir to combine. Garnish with crumbled feta cheese, if desired. Serve immediately.
- Add in other seasonal fresh herbs if available, such as basil, thyme and chives.
- To make in advance, prepare barley, vegetables and dressing and keep separate until just prior to serving.
- If leftovers get dry when storing (grains tend to soak up dressings), drizzle with a little olive oil to refresh.