These cranberry-stuffed baked apples provide a delightful and delicious alternative to the rich, heavy baked goods and desserts that typically grace holiday tables. Spiced with the warm flavors of nutmeg, vanilla, orange peel and cinnamon, each bite is purely decadent. Serve both kinds of desserts and leave all your guests happy and satisfied.
3/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
2 Tbsp. butter, melted
1/2 tsp. Frontier Organic Ground Nutmeg
1/2 tsp. Frontier Organic Vanilla Extract
1/2 tsp. Frontier Organic Orange Peel Granules
4 Frontier Organic Cinnamon Sticks
1 lb. apples
2 cups fresh cranberries, rinsed and sorted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease baking dish.
- From stemmed end of apples, cut 1/2" off apple top. If desired, remove stems and leave small hole to insert cinnamon stick. Carefully remove core of each apple and discard. Scoop out center of apples, being careful not to pierce the skin. Chop apple flesh and set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine orange juice, raisins, walnuts, butter, nutmeg, vanilla, orange peel granules, chopped apple and cranberries. Spoon mixture into hollowed-out apples and place in baking dish.
- Insert cinnamon stick into filling of each apple and replace apple top, pulling cinnamon stick through hole (caps will sit crooked to allow room for cinnamon stick if you did not create holes in step two). Spread any extra stuffing around apples and bake for about 45 minutes, until tender.
- To make vegan, replace butter with vegan butter substitute or buttery-flavored coconut oil. Add a pinch of salt if the substitute is salt-free.
- The walnuts may be omitted for nut allergies.