Nothing is more inviting and filling than a big bowl of pasta, but if you're dieting, unhealthy carbs probably aren't in the cards. This spaghetti squash bake is a satisfying substitute for those off-limits noodle dishes, and because it’s smoothed in a rich, spicy meat sauce, you get all the flavor plus extra protein!
Spicy Turkey Spaghetti Squash Bake
1 small/medium spaghetti squash
¾ cup red pepper sauce
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
Herbal seasoning, to taste
½ red onion, chopped
2 bell peppers, chopped
1-1/4 lb. pounds extra lean ground turkey
Colby and Monterrey jack shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick pan spray.
- Cut squash crosswise in half; scrap out seeds and place cut side down on a microwave-safe plate filled with enough water to cover the bottom.
- Microwave squash for about 8 minutes or until tender; let cool.
- Scrape out squash using fork and set aside strands.
- In saucepan on medium heat, heat vegetable oil. Add turkey, pepper flakes and herb seasoning. When turkey is about halfway cooked, add pepper and onion and cook until turkey is browned.
- In large bowl, Combine turkey mixture with squash and red pepper sauce. Pour mixture into baking dish and top with shredded cheese.
- Bake casserole for 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.