Indian Honey-Coconut Cake
- 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup (118 mL) orange juice
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- 1/2 cup (118 mL) vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp. (6 g.) vanilla extract
- Optional: 1/8 tsp. rose water
- 1-1/2 cups (204 g.) unbleached white all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1-1/2 tsp. (6 g.) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. fine sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
Simple Honey Syrup
- 1/2 cup (170 g.) clover honey
- 1/4 cup (59 mL) water
- 1/4 cup (48 g.) sugar
- 2 Tbsp. (15 g.) shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup (154 g.) preserves of choice, warmed
- With oven rack in center of oven, preheat to 350 degrees F. Grease and line square 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Into medium bowl, sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cardamom.
- In separate bowl, whisk together orange juice, orange zest, sweetened condensed milk, vegetable oil, and optional rose water until combined.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, whisking as you go.
- Pour batter into lined baking pan and remove air pockets by tapping on the counter.
- Bake for 35–40 minutes, or until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cake cool 10 minutes before running a knife along the edges and releasing the cake.
Honey Syrup and Topping
- In small saucepan on medium-high heat, stir water and sugar with spatula until sugar crystals dissolve. Bring to a simmer and cook 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat and stir in honey. Set aside.
- With toothpick or skewer, prick top of cooled cake all over.
- Slowly pour honey syrup over the cake, using a spoon to spread the syrup as you pour.
- Using a spoon, spread preserves over cake and sprinkle with coconut.
- Using a serrated knife, trim outer ¼-inch of cake. Slice cake into eight 2 x 3.5-inch rectangles and serve.