Gluten-Free Chai Muffins with Cinnamon-Maple Glaze
- 1-1/2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour (no xanthan gum)
- 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 stick unsalted butter (melted & cooled slightly)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 bags decaf chai tea (cut & tea leaves emptied into bowl)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp. melted butter
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease muffin tin or line with parchment paper liners.
- In medium saucepan over medium-low heat, simmer milk and loose-leaf tea. Remove from heat and steep for 10 minutes. Drain milk through fine-mesh sieve or cheesecloth into large mixing bowl – this should amount to 1 cup of liquid (if it doesn’t add milk until it reaches 1 cup). Set aside to cool slightly.
- In large mixing bowl, whisk flour, xanthan gum, coconut sugar, salt, baking powder and cinnamon; incorporate evenly.
- In mixing bowl with steeped milk, add melted butter, eggs and vanilla. Whisk well until smooth, ribbon-like consistency forms.
- Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients and use large mixing spoon to gently stir until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Place 1/4 cup muffin batter into each muffin well. Bake for 24-27 minutes or until muffins are golden, firm to touch and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool for 5 minutes on cooling rack in muffin tin. Then, remove muffins and cool directly on rack the remainder off the way. While cooling, prepare glaze.
- In medium bowl, combine glaze ingredients and whisk well until smooth. When ready, dip the tops of the muffins into glaze. Tip: Glaze just before serving for best results.
- Serve muffins warm or room temperature.
- If you glaze the muffins while they’re still warm, the glaze will be absorbed. Glaze at room temperature and it will be visible on the outside.
- Not a fan of the glaze? No problem! Just leave it off. These muffins will still taste fantastic!
- Spice of your life with this simple muffin recipe! Order the ingredients at Vitacost.com.