The beauty of biscuits is that they go with every meal. Butter one up for breakfast, spread on some fresh avocado for lunch or use one to soak up delicious stew, soup or chili for dinner. Free of gluten and other overly processed ingredients, these paleo-friendly biscuits are made with pureed butternut squash and crunchy bacon. Plus, to make life easier, you can prepare the dough beforehand. Simple store dough balls overnight in refrigerator and bake the next day!
Makes 12 biscuits
2-1/2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Super-Fine Almond Flour
3 Tbsp. Nutiva Organic Coconut Flour
1 medium butternut squash (roughly 1 cup cooked)
1/4 cup Vitacost Organic Coconut Oil or ghee, melted
6 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
1 tsp. Vitacost Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tsp. Pamela's Gluten-Free Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place towel underneath cutting board to stabilize, cut squash lengthwise and de-seed.
2. Line pan with parchment paper. Liberally coat squash with oil and place flesh-side down on pan. Pierce with fork and bake 30-35 minutes, or until tender.
3. Remove squash from oven and set aside to cool. Scoop flesh into food processor, add wet ingredients and pulse until combined.
4. In small bowl, combine dry ingredients. Spoon half dry mixture into food processor and pulse a few times. Add remaining dry mixture and process until combined, scooping down sides of bowl if needed.
5. Add bacon and pulse a few times or mix in with spoon.
6. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop about 2 heaping tablespoons of mixture into hands and roll into 12 equal balls.
7. Place onto baking sheet a few inches apart. Using hands, lightly flatten balls to form biscuits.
8. Bake 20-25 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.