Ring the alarm. These fiery buffalo bites will be the talk of your next party. Your friends and family will quickly devour these roasted Brussels sprouts, enveloped in a dough-y chickpea batter, then doused in organic chipotle habanero sauce and baked to perfection. Be sure to keep the cashew dill sauce nearby to cool down the heat.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes
Cashew-dill dipping sauce
1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked in filtered water at least 1 hour
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. dried dill
1/4 tsp. pink salt, or more to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In medium bowl, combine coconut milk and chickpea flour to create batter. Set aside to thicken.
- Remove stem ends from Brussels sprouts and any loose outer leaves, then slice in half.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Thoroughly coat each Brussels sprout in batter. Arrange on baking sheet, cut side up. (Leave a little space in between each sprout to prevent sticking.) Roast for 22 minutes. (Add 1-2 minutes if using very large sprouts.)
- Prepare buffalo sauce. If using avocado oil, use fork to whisk together all ingredients in bowl. If using ghee, heat ghee in small saucepan over medium until melted. Then stir in the rest of the ingredients and cook on low heat for 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- To make cashew dipping sauce, combine all ingredients in bullet blender and blend until a uniformly thick and creamy consistency forms. You can thin it out, if desired, with a little extra water or oil, 1 teaspoon at a time.
- When Brussels are ready, use spatula to lift off paper and push toward middle of pan. Pour buffalo sauce on top, then use two spoons to mix well and evenly coat. Then, lay them out flat again (it doesn’t matter if they are touching at this point). Return to oven for 7-8 minutes.
- Serve on appetizer tray with cashew dill dipping sauce.