Creamy Butternut Squash “Cheese” Sauce
- 3 Tbsp. avocado oil
- 1/2 large red onion (peeled and diced)
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1-1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 3-1/2 cups cooked butternut squash (about 1 large butternut squash*)
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. salt (or salt to taste)
- 2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1-1/4 cups cashew milk or coconut cream**
- 12 oz. cooked pasta of choice
- Fresh parsley (for garnish)
- In large pot over medium heat, heat avocado oil. Cook red onion, without stirring, 3 to 4 minutes. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until onions are slightly brown and caramelized.
- Stir in garlic; continue cooking one minute. Stir in broth, squash, nutritional yeast, coconut aminos, lemon juice, salt, thyme and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low. Let slow simmer about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cashew milk. Turn off heat; let mixture cool.
- Using an immersion blender (or food processor or powerful blender), mix everything until well combined and completely smooth.
- In large bowl, combine sauce and pasta. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley.
*To cook butternut squash, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds/strings. On sheet pan, place butternut squash skin side down. Brush tops with avocado oil. Roast until squash fork-tender, about 60 to 80 minutes, depending on size of squash.
**If using coconut cream, adjust amount to reach desired consistency. You may have to add 1/4 cup extra since cashew milk is thinner than coconut cream.