We’re calling this "carrot cake bread” because it’s a little too healthy to be classified as “cake” alone! Even with the addition of the seemingly decadent homemade “frosting,” which is made from cashews, lemon, apple cider vinegar, coconut oil and a touch of honey, it’s still a pretty nutritious loaf. The perfect treat for paleo dieters, it’s grain-free, dairy-free and made with whole foods. If you’re not feeling the frosting, simply omit. A naked loaf means there’s room for more creativity in the kitchen (we really want to see someone make a carrot cake bread PB&J – but that’s just our fantasy!).
Paleo Carrot Cake Bread with Cashew Cream “Cheese”
- 2 cups Bob's Red Mill Super Fine Almond Flour
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 4 eggs, (whisked)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1-1/2 cups shredded carrot
- 2 Tbsp. Vitacost Organic Coconut Oil, (melted)
- 1 Tbsp. + 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 1/2 tsp. salt
Cashew cream “cheese”
- 1 cup cashews, (soaked in filtered water for at least 5 hours)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil, (melted)
- 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- Pinch salt
- Water for blending
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F. Grease loaf pan and line with parchment paper strip to help lift out loaf, set pan aside.
- In blender, combine frosting ingredients and blend until smooth, adding water as needed for easy blending. Transfer to refrigerator to set.
- Meanwhile, prepare loaf. In small bowl, whisk together wet ingredients. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients. Use fork to sift together and break up any lumps.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Mix well. Fold in raisins and shredded carrots.
- Pour bread mixture into greased pan and smooth out evenly. Tap pan on counter a few times to get rid of any air pockets and cook for 50-55 minutes.
- Insert toothpick or knife. When it comes out clean, loaf is ready. Remove from oven and cool completely before adding frosting. Top with crushed nuts and whatever other toppings you desire.