Complete with a do-it-yourself flatbread base, this warm and toasty appetizer is sure to satisfy the palates of many. It’s topped with crispy baked Brussels sprouts and mozzarella “cheese” – plus a drizzle of fresh lemon-tahini dressing. It’s a light bite for summer dining, but can be served year-round as a savory starter.
“Cheesy” Brussels Sprouts Flatbread (Vegan)
- 2 Tbsp. avocado oil
- 1 Tbsp. tahini
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp. agave
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- Pinch Himalayan pink salt
- Pinch ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp. warm water (divided (100 degrees F))
- 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast
- 1/2 tsp. organic cane sugar (divided)
- 1 Tbsp. avocado oil (divided)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. Himalayan pink salt
- 1 cup plant-based shredded mozzarella "cheese"
- 1 ½ cups Brussels sprouts (thinly sliced)
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper to taste
- In bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In stand mixer, combine active dry yeast, ¼ teaspoon sugar and ¼ cup warm water until mixture is frothy and bubbles form, roughly 15 minutes.
- Stir in flour, salt, remaining sugar and water, and 1 ½ teaspoons avocado oil until dough forms. Transfer dough to lightly floured surface. Use hands to knead dough for 2 minutes. Transfer dough to lightly greased bowl and cover with damp towel. Set aside for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F. and line baking sheet with parchment paper. When ready, use fists to punch dough to release any air.
- On floured surface, roll dough to ¼ in. thickness. Transfer dough to prepared baking sheet. Use fork to press a few holes into each half to release steam during the baking process.
- Top dough with mozzarella and layer sliced Brussels sprouts evenly on top. Drizzle with remaining oil and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Bake 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and drizzle lemon-tahini dressing on top. Slice and serve warm.