Potato & Pea Empanadas with Coconut-Date Sauce
Dough (or use pre-made)
- 2-½ cups King Arthur Flour Unbleached All Purpose Flour + additional ¼ cup for dusting
- 1 tsp. Vitacost Himalayan Pink Salt
- 1 tsp. Organic Light Brown Sugar
- ½ cup ice water
- ½ cup vegan butter + additional 2-3 Tbsp. grated (from frozen stick)
- 3 medium potatoes (boiled in salted water)
- 1 cup frozen petite peas
- ½ tsp. Simply Organic Garlic Powder
- ¼-½ tsp. Frontier Co-Op Ground Chipotle
- 2 Tbsp. vegan butter
- ½ tsp. Vitacost Himalayan Pink Salt
- ½ tsp. Frontier Co-Op Organic Black Pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Nutiva Organic Coconut Manna
- 4 Tbsp. Date Lady Organic Date Syrup
- ¼ cup Native Forest Unsweetened Coconut Milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In food processor, combine flour, salt, sugar and butter and pulse until pea-sized clumps form. Gradually add ice water until ball forms.
- On floured flat surface, knead lightly 3-4 minutes with hands. Shape into ball then flatten into disk. Wrap disc in plastic wrap and let rest in refrigerator 30 minutes.
- On floured flat surface, roll dough to 8x10-inches or larger. Sprinkle on grated frozen butter, then fold over 2-3 times to create layers.
- Flour surface again and roll dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Use 3-½-inch circular cookie cutter to cut out 12-16 dough circles.
- In bowl, add cooled potatoes and mash roughly. Add peas, garlic, chipotle, salt, pepper and butter and gently combine.
- Arrange filling in center of each dough circle, taking care not to overfill. Fold circle in half over filling and pinch edges closed. Using tines of fork, crimp edges. Repeat until all dough is used.
- Arrange empanadas on baking sheet.
- Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- In blender, combine sauce ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Use coconut oil as substitute for vegan butter.
- For crispier empanadas, brush with mixture of butter and plant-based milk before baking.