Gingerbread Cupcakes With Cinnamon Frosting (Vegan)
- 1-1/2 cups organic all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 2 Tbsp. molasses
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 5 cups organic powdered sugar (sifted)
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (softened at room temp.)
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4-5 Tbsp. almond milk
- Gingerbread cookies
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and prep 12-cavity cupcake pan with liners and spray.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and sea salt. Set aside.
- Add milk, apple cider vinegar, molasses, and oil to dry ingredients. Using a hand-mixer on medium-speed, mix everything until combined and smooth with no lumps. (Note: Do not over mix.)
- Scoop batter into each cupcake cavity (about ¾ full) and bake at 400 degrees for the first 5 minutes. Then reduce temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking 11-13 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean in the center.
- Once done, turn oven off with cupcakes still inside and oven door slightly open for 2 minutes. (Note: This keeps cupcakes from deflating.)
- Let cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
- Using electric mixer or hand mixer, beat butter on medium-high speed until smooth and pale. Add powdered sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and milk, continuing to mix on medium speed until desired smooth and fluffy consistency is reached. (Note: If buttercream is runny, add additional powdered sugar 1 Tbsp at a time. If too thick, add milk 1 Tbsp at a time.)
- Pipe buttercream onto cooled cupcakes.
- If desired, top cupcakes with gingerbread cookies.