Made from nutritious, plant-based ingredients, this haunted smoothie bowl is the perfect way to kick off a happy Halloween. The only trick about this sweet treat is that it’s a deliciously healthy breakfast that tastes like dessert. You and your kiddos will have fun making this one. Swarming with creepy-crawlers and ghosts, this edible horror scene is just as exciting to create as it is to eat! Feel free to add in your own frightening designs.
And don’t be spooked by uncommon ingredients such as turmeric, which I tend to shake into all my favorite smoothies. Its benefits include anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, as well as supporting liver health, brain cell health and protection against free radicals.* Plus, the yellow spice becomes masked by the sweeter flavors.
Enjoy this festive bowl and share your family’s creepy creations with us on Instagram. Don’t forget to tag and follow @vitacost!
Note: To make the tombstones, I used a sharp knife to carefully cut the shape from a whole-grain, organic tortilla. For a touch of sweetness, you can spread on raw coconut nectar and dust with cinnamon before baking for a few minutes at 325 degrees F. To make it even simpler, you could also use a long, rounded cookie such as Nairn’s Gluten-Free Oat Grahams
1 cup pumpkin, peeled & cubed
2-3 frozen bananas
1/2 fresh, ripe banana, halved lengthwise
1 scoop raw vegan vanilla protein powder
3 Tbsp. shredded coconut
3 Tbsp. pumpkin granola
2-1/2 Tbsp. cacao nibs
1 Tbsp. moringa powder
- First, assemble the creepy-crawlers. Make cockroach using 1 date. Tack on two goji berries for antennae. Then, break toothpicks in half to create legs. For the next insect, skewer 3 grapes onto another toothpick. Set aside.
- Roll banana halves in shredded coconut. Use raisins to make ghost face. Set aside.
- In high-speed blender, combine pumpkin, frozen bananas, protein powder, cinnamon, turmeric and 1 date (Note: add a splash of water to blend easier). Spoon into bowl.
- Starting at one edge of the bowl, layer on moringa powder, granola and cacao nibs to form “dirt.”
- Sink in two tombstone cookies or cinnamon chips followed by the ghosts. Then, place fruity bugs around the “graveyard.” Serve immediately.