[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Wrists often take a beating during exercises. Planks, push-ups, yoga
poses, even weight lifting can place excess pressure on wrists. Strengthening your wrists can help improve stability and flexibility
and can protect the small ligaments in your wrists from strain or overuse. Strong wrists can also improve your grip for better golf swings, tennis playing, rock climbing
and weight lifting. Below are exercises to strengthen your wrists, protect them from injury and ease pain.
How to Strengthen Wrists: 3 Simple Exercises
Performing just a few wrist exercises can aid in building the muscles around the wrists, helping to support a full range of motion during exercise. Incorporating these exercises into your workout can help to prevent wrist injury and pain.
This exercise can be done using a dumbbell, water bottle or light resistance band. If you’re using dumbbells, choose a light weight less than 5 lbs. When using the resistance band, hold one end with the bottom of your foot on the floor then grip the other end with the hand you’re working.
*If using a resistance band
, perform the exercise with one wrist then repeat on the other side
- Sit with arms resting on your legs at 90 degrees with palms facing up.
- Curl both wrists up, like a mini bicep curl, then bring wrists to the starting position.
- Repeat 10 times, rest and repeat.
- Note: Only move your wrists. Don’t engage your entire arm.
To perform this exercise, you can squeeze anything – a tennis ball, towel
or hand exercise ball. It can be done anytime and anywhere.
- Standing or sitting, hold the squeezable item with your palm facing up and squeeze as hard as you can for 3-5 seconds.
- Release your grip slowly.
- Repeat ten times and switch hands. As your grip strength grows move up to 2 sets per hand.
- Sit or stand holding the gripper in your right hand with palm facing in and your arm bent at a right angle.
- Squeeze the gripper slowly and then release in a controlled manner.
- Repeat the exercise 8-10 times, then switch hands.
- Note: Focus only on the hand moving and not the arm.
Healthy exercise habits to remember: Rest your wrists while exercising. Take breaks as needed during your workout and shake out the wrists and stretch them.
How to Protect Your Wrists
- Use proper form while performing any exercise
- Don’t use too much weight
- Stretch before and after exercising
- Wear a wrist brace or athletic tape if needed to stabilize your wrists
- Use wrists wraps when lifting heavier weights
- Strengthen the muscles around your wrist by performing the above exercises
- Incorporate rest days into your week to help prevent overuse and injury
Pain in Wrist? Get Some Relief.
If you find despite your best efforts that you are suffering from wrist pain try the following suggestions:
- Wrap an ice pack in a towel and place on wrist for up to 20 minutes every 2 to 3 hours (frozen peas can also be used).
- Rest your wrists.
- Try using a wrist support at night.
- Take an over the counter mild pain reliever or anti-inflammatory medication.
- Gently stretch the wrist.
[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_text_separator title="Featured Products" border_width="2"][vc_row_inner][vc_column_inner width="2/12"][/vc_column_inner][vc_column_inner width="3/12"][vc_single_image image="161113" img_size="full" onclick="custom_link" img_link_target="_blank" link="https://www.vitacost.com/gaiam-restore-strength-and-flexibility-kit"][/vc_column_inner][vc_column_inner width="2/12"][/vc_column_inner][vc_column_inner width="3/12"][vc_single_image image="161114" img_size="full" onclick="custom_link" img_link_target="_blank" link="https://www.vitacost.com/spri-kettlebell-red"][/vc_column_inner][vc_column_inner width="2/12"][/vc_column_inner][/vc_row_inner][/vc_column][/vc_row]