If you’ve been eating fewer carbohydrates, moderate protein and high (healthy) fats, then you’ve been following a keto diet. The idea behind the keto diet is that by eating more fats and fewer carbs your body will use ketones (fat-like molecules) as its main source of energy in place of glucose, allowing you to burn more fat…which we like.
As with any other diet or nutrition plan, healthy snacking is a must. Here’s my recommended list of keto diet-friendly snacks to munch on throughout the day. Eat a snack by itself or pair it with another option (for example, sip on bone broth and eat kale chips).
Remember: when choosing snacks (especially prepackaged items), be sure to look for high-quality ingredients. Also take time to prepare some snacks yourself, again using only top quality ingredients. And keep track of your portions so your snacks will fit into your daily macros—not everyone’s portion amounts are the same!
Keto Diet-Friendly Snacks
1. ½ avocado drizzled with MCT oil and sprinkled with sea salt
5. Bacon wrapped asparagus (get a recipe here)
7. Black coffee mixed with Pure Indian Foods Coffee++ Creamer Cultured Ghee & MCT Oil
8. Bone broth protein powder shake
10. Caveman Foods Blueberry Pepper Paleo Inspired Chicken Primal Bar
11. Celery stuffed with cream cheese & olives
12. Cottage cheese (full fat) with small amount of berries
13. Deli meat & cheese roll ups (look for grass-fed, organic brands)
14. Hu Vegan Paleo Dark Chocolate Bar
16. Hard boiled eggs (2)
18. Nuts: almonds, macadamia, walnuts
22. Seeds – flax, chia, pumpkin
23. String cheese
24. Rebel Kitchen Organic Dairy-Free Coconut Milk Drink with Coffee
25. Veggie sticks (zucchini, peppers, cucumbers) dipped in homemade guacamole or hummus
Here’s a quick, healthy snack for when a sweet tooth strikes:
Keto Avocado-Chocolate Pudding
1 medium avocado, mashed
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
10 drops liquid stevia
1 tsp. sea salt
In small bowl, mix together all ingredients (except sea salt). Sprinkle with sea salt.