Vitacost Certified Organic Basil Description
Vitacost® Organic Basil
USDA Certified Organic
Dried basil leaves with garden-fresh flavor
Aromatic & slightly sweet
Add to soups, sauces, salsas & more
Vitacost® Organic Basil adds spice to your life
Everyone from your grandma to the 20-something hipster couple next door grows their own fresh herbs. Undoubtedly, they look beautiful in their colorful, window boxes or symmetrical wall arrangements. But your grandma didn’t pass down her grass-stained, gardening genes, which means fresh herbs and spices aren’t a staple in your kitchen. Vitacost® Organic Basil will change that.
Though you don’t pluck it from the pot, Vitacost® Organic Basil tastes nearly as fresh as if you had. That’s why it works equally well in a creamy pesto, hearty, Italian pasta or homemade bruschetta. And it’s not just the peppery-sweet flavor that makes this dried basil an impressive alternative. The cheery aroma of Vitacost® Organic Basil is so close to the real thing, you’ll be eating with your nose first. See? No green thumb, no problem!
What’s the best way to cook with Vitacost® Organic Basil?
• Add to cold pasta salad with crumbled feta
• Sprinkled into homemade marinara
• Blend with nuts and olive oil to make pesto
• Stir with fresh diced tomatoes for bruschetta
• Mix into dough when making pizza crust or bread
Check the Tips & Recipes tab for many more great uses of Vitacost® Organic Basil
Vitacost® products are manufactured to high standards of quality and safety. Each Vitacost® product meets or exceeds the standards and requirements set forth in the FDA’s Code of Federal Regulation (21 CFR, 110) Current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP).
Keep dry and at room temperature (59°-86°F [15°-30°C]).
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Ingredients: Organic basil
The product packaging you receive may contain additional details or may differ from what is shown on our website. We recommend that you reference the complete information included with your product before consumption and do not rely solely on the details shown on this page. For more information, please see our full disclaimer
Butternut Squash Lasagna
Cozy comfort food
is a must this time of year. The best way to indulge is to put a nutritious spin on your favorite soul-warming dishes. This meatless butternut squash lasagna does just that! Enjoy layers of noodles, spinach, herbs, ricotta cheese, mozzarella and a creamy garlic sauce. Serve as a side dish or main entrée, depending on your preference.
Butternut Squash Lasagna
- 1 butternut squash (about 2 lbs., peeled & cubed)
- 10-12 lasagna noodles
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (divided)
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- 16 oz. ricotta cheese (part-skim)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2-3 cups fresh spinach
- 1 Tbsp. freshly-squeezed lemon juice
Creamy garlic sauce
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups almond milk
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- Bring large pot of water + 1 tablespoon olive oil to boil. Add lasagna noodles and cook according to package instructions. Tip: Al dente is always best. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In bowl, toss cubed butternut squash with 2 tablespoons olive oil until fully coated. Transfer to parchment-paper-lined baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper. Backe for 25-30 minutes or until edges are golden and squash is tender.
Creamy garlic sauce
- In saucepan over medium-high heat, add butter. Once heated, add minced garlic and sauté until fragrant and translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Add garlic powder, salt and pepper. Whisk until combined, then whisk in flour.
- Slowly add milk, whisking frequently until incorporated and sauce becomes smooth and thick, about 3-4 minutes. Once thickened, remove from heat. Set aside.
- In bowl, mix ricotta cheese, lemon juice and seasonings until combined.
- In bottom of standard square baking dish, spread an even layer of garlic sauce, followed by an even layer of lasagna noodles. Top with 2-3 tablespoons ricotta mixture, followed by sprinkles of spinach and mozzarella cheese. Add a few chunks of roasted butternut squash. Then, add another layer of lasagna noodles and repeat steps until complete.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until cheese has fully melted and the top is golden brown.
Order the ingredients you need to make this recipe at Vitacost.com!