What’s your jam? Grape, strawberry, raspberry, peach? Why not stray from sweet for a summer spread that surprises your taste buds and brings a bit of savory to your favorite breakfast bases? Try this roasted tomatillo temptation – zipped up with aromatic coriander seed, spicy chili pepper flakes and rich, caramelized onion – layered over cream cheese on a bagel or atop a thick slice of whole-grain toast. Save the in-season fruit for dessert!
Roasted Tomatillo & Onion Jam
Makes 4 cups
2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
2 lbs. tomatillos
1/2 white onion, chopped
1 tsp. organic garlic powder
1 Tbsp. dried chili pepper flakes
2 Tbsp. organic coriander seeds
½ tsp. organic cumin
1 cup organic cane sugar
1 cup lime, juiced
1 cup water
1 tsp. sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- After removing wrappers, cut tomatillos in half and combine with 1 tablespoon olive oil in a roasting pan. Roast tomatillos for 30 minutes until softened; remove from oven and let cool.
- In large saucepan, combine onions and remaining olive oil. Sauté onions about 5 minutes, until translucent.
- In spice grinder or bowl (mortar and pestle), grind corander seeds and chili pepper flakes. (Note: If using grinder, pulse for 10 seconds to medium grind.)
- In saucepan, use spoon to create “well” in center of onions. Pour in spice mixture and cook for 1 minutes, then stir together onions and spice mix.
- Add tomatillos, along with any roasting juices, and water, sugar and salt to saucepan; stir mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, then mash tomatillos with a masher.
- Simmer jam for 45 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat and let jam cool and thicken.
- Transfer cooled jam to a glass jar. Store refrigerated or frozen, or use your favorite canning method to can the jam.