Strawberry Cinnamon Rolls with Vanilla Glaze (Vegan)
- 5 cups organic all-purpose flour
- 1 packet rapid rise yeast
- 1 Tbsp. organic cane sugar
- ½ cup organic brown sugar + 1 Tbsp.
- 1 ¼ cups organic almond milk
- ¼ cup warm water
- ¼ cup unsalted organic vegan butter
- 1 tsp. organic vanilla extract
- Pinch of organic ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. melted organic coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil
- Optional: ¼ cup organic strawberry preserves
- 2-3 Tbsp. unsalted organic vegan butter (melted)
- 1 Tbsp. organic ground cinnamon
- ½ cup organic brown sugar
- 1/3 cup organic strawberry preserves
- 1 tsp. organic lemon juice
- 4 cups organic powdered sugar (sifted)
- 2 Tbsp. organic vegan butter (softened to room temperature)
- ½ tsp. organic vanilla extract
- 2-3 Tbsp. organic almond milk
- Fresh organic strawberries (sliced)
- In bowl of stand mixer, combine yeast and sugar; slowly pour in warm water while stirring frequently. Allow mixture to sit 10 minutes for yeast to activate.
- In saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and add milk, stirring frequently as mixture heats. (Note: Be sure mixture does not boil or get too hot. Once butter has melted, remove immediately and let cool until warm.)
- Once cooled, add milk-butter mixture to yeast-sugar mixture and mix until well combined. Mix in vanilla and strawberry preserves (if desired for sweeter dough).
- In separate bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Add to wet ingredients and mix on low-speed until well combined, about 1-2 minutes.
- Change mixer head to kneading accessory and knead dough for 5-10 minutes on high-speed until dough ball becomes smooth and elastic and dough springs back when lightly pressed with 2 fingers. (Note: If dough is too sticky, add 1 Tbsp. flour at a time until desired texture is achieved.)
- Lightly grease large bowl with small amount of coconut or olive oil and place dough ball in bowl; roll ball to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit 1 hour, allowing dough to rise and double in size.
Filling, rolling & baking
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In saucepan or bowl in microwave, melt butter and set aside.
- In bowl, combine cinnamon and brown sugar and set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together strawberry jam/preserves and lemon juice until smooth.
- Flour flat surface. Use rolling pin to flatten dough to approximately 9”x14” rectangle, trimming edges if needed. (Note: Do not roll dough too thin.)
- Generously brush melted butter over top of dough and spoon on cinnamon-sugar mixture. Use pastry brush to sweep sugar mixture evenly across dough.
- Tightly roll dough long-ways and, using a pastry cutter, cut rolled dough into 1-½-inch-thick pieces.
- In large baking dish lined with parchment paper, arrange rolls.
- Using spoon, tuck 1 Tbsp. or so of strawberry jam/preserves in center of each roll.
- Place plastic wrap over baking dish and let rise for 20 minutes.
- Brush tops of risen rolls with melted butter.
- Bake 35-40 minutes. Allow to cool completely before glazing.
- In bowl of stand mixer, beat butter on medium-high speed until fluffy and smooth. Mix in powdered sugar, vanilla extract and almond milk (1 Tbsp. at a time) until mixture reaches spreadable consistency. (Note: Add more milk, 1 Tbsp. at a time, to thin glaze or more powdered sugar to thicken).
- Using rubber spatula, spread glaze evenly on rolls; top with fresh strawberries.