Get 20% off your first order: Subscribe now to receive your exclusive coupon plus special offers!
Wellness essentials to support all your goals
A healthy new year makes for a happy new year. If you’re making a healthy new year’s resolution in 2022, then you’ve come to the right place! Here at Vitacost, we care about you – truly. Your well-being is of the upmost important to us. That’s why we carry 40,000 carefully curated wellness products from top brands (for less!). Save on nourishing organic foods, natural vitamins and supplements, clean beauty essentials, eco-friendly home products and more. Following are the three new year’s resolutions we hear about the most – and how to achieve them!
The road to wellness is paved with good habits. And while there aren’t any shortcuts to achieving total-body health instantly, there are several simple ways you can start living better today. Here are four tips for getting healthier in 2022 (in no particular order of importance):
1. Make a routine: Wake up, make your bed, brew some tea, listen to a podcast, go for a walk, shower, start your work day – whatever it may be, it’s important to plan a daily routine you can stick to.
2. Practice mindful eating: Mindfulness is about focusing intentionally on the present. The practice of mindful eating allows you to take a moment for soul-nourishing gratitude before savoring your food. Dining this way also slows down your intake, which helps discourage overeating since it takes at least 20 minutes for your brain to register that you’re full.
3. Enjoy produce at every meal: To increase your daily intake of wellness-boosting vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, phytonutrients and fiber, include fresh fruit and veggies with each meal. This also helps crowd out processed foods that feature empty calories over nutrients. Add extra fruit to smoothies and overnight oats for breakfast. For lunch and dinners, make more produce-centric dishes, such as soups, stews, sautés and large colorful salads.
4. Get moving: According to a recent study published in The BMJ medical journal – which examined the lifestyles and medical histories of more than 100,000 men and women – 30 minutes of moderate to vigorous exercise each day is integral for staying disease-free. Keep in mind that pushing yourself too hard in the beginning can lead to burnout quickly, or even injury. Starting with a lighter schedule and building onto it each week may be a safer route to take.
There are four ingredients to building healthy habits, according to James Clear’s book: Atomic Habits. Here’s the recipe:
Cue: a signal, usually external, that prompts the beginning of the “habit loop”
Craving: the feeling put in place by the cue that drives the habitual action
Response: the action the habit is based on
Reward: something positive, whether physical or mental, you get from undertaking the habit
Now, apply this formula to your own lifestyle to establish healthy habits. Example:
Cue: You get off work
Craving: You want to burn off some energy
Response: You hit the gym
Reward: You feel healthier and happier as those endorphins buzz through your body
Once you learn to embrace habits, you’ll be able to guide “future you” toward better decisions. And that’s a more empowered way to live.
Pick just one, a few or all five of these fitness tips to jump-start a healthier way of life in 2022.
1. Be specific: Everyone’s goals are different, so get more specific with yourself. Do you want to run a half marathon? Compete in a fitness competition? Lower your cholesterol? Become more flexible? Take out the guesswork and develop a specific plan to ensure success.
2. Love your workouts: If you dread getting on the treadmill, then why are you doing it? Replace it with another form of cardio you might enjoy more, such as cycling or jumping rope.
3. Focus on nutrition: Make it a priority to understand your nutritional needs and take ownership of your food choices. Nutrition is 80 percent of your fitness plan, so invest the time to learn more about it.
4. Track results and progress: Use a journal or fitness tracker to log your daily workouts and food intake. This is a great way to stay committed and keep track of progress. If it supports your goals, record your measurements at the beginning of your program and then every four to six weeks.
5. Be patient with yourself: When we start a new exercise routine and eating plan, it’s very exciting, and it feels like nothing can stand in our way. Then, after a few weeks, there may be a small setback. Be easy on yourself, and don’t let one obstacle throw you off course. Put it behind you and keep moving forward.
|Please enter a valid zip code|