Rustic Olive Bread Rolls
- Stand mixer
- Parchment paper
- Glass 9x13-in. baking dish
- 2-1/4 tsp. active-dry yeast (1 packet)
- 1/4 cup warm water (105 to 110 degrees F)
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (+ extra flour for kneading (375g))
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 large egg (well beaten)
- 1/2 cup olive tapenade*
- 3 Tbsp. melted butter
- 1 cup warm water (105 to 110 degrees F)
Egg wash (optional)
- 1 egg (well beaten)
- 1 Tbsp. whole milk
- Garlic butter
- First, proof the yeast. Pour active dry yeast in medium bowl. Stir in water and sugar. Wait for yeast to double in volume and become frothy (can take around 10-15 minutes)
- If using stand mixer, combine flour, salt, egg, olive tapenade, butter, water and proofed yeast in bowl. Use dough attachment, set to low speed, to combine until dough forms. (This step takes around 6-8 minutes.) Dough texture should be soft, but not sticky. Note: If you are not using a stand mixer, knead by hand for 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer dough to greased bowl. Lift dough, turn it upside down and return to bowl to grease both sides. Cover mixing bowl with plastic wrap and let dough rest for about 2 hours on countertop or inside an oven with the light on.
- Once dough has doubled in volume, punch to deflate. Transfer to lightly floured surface and knead for 2-3 minutes. Divide dough into 12 pieces (eyeball it). Shape each piece into smooth, round rolls.
- Line a 9x13-in. pan with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray.
- Arrange rolls an inch apart and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside for 1 hour. The rolls should have doubled and filled the pan.
How to bake
- Adjust oven rack to middle position. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In the meantime, prepare egg wash (optional). In small bowl, whisk egg with milk until smooth.
- Once the rolls have risen, brush the tops with egg wash if using.
- Place baking pan in the center of the rack. Bake for 20-25 minutes or when the crust turns golden brown. Rotate the pan halfway through for even cooking.
- Brush rolls with garlic butter and serve warm.
• *If you cannot find olive tapenade, substitute it with ½ cup finely chopped pitted green olives, along with 1/2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes and ½ teaspoon salt.
• Use egg wash if you prefer a golden-brown finish.
• Order the ingredients you need to make this recipe at Vitacost.com!