A normal breakfast might mean popping a few mini vegetable quiches in your mouth while packing lunches or inhaling a homemade granola bar in one bite as you walk into your office. But these fluffy vegan scones are made for days when you can sit and enjoy your meal--not for eating at your desk. This easy recipe, baking in only 20 minutes, comes together pretty quickly. So, you won't spend much of your free time slaving over a hot oven, yet you’ll still get a breakfast treat worthy of slowing down. Pour yourself a comforting cup of tea and enjoy these warm and sprinkled with shredded coconut and lime zest.
Makes 16 scones
4 cups flour (use gluten-free flour, if necessary)
4 Tbsp. sugar
3 Tbsp. coconut flakes
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1-1/2 cups vanilla almond milk
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Lime, for zesting, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine almond milk and lemon juice. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, coconut flakes, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add almond milk mixture and mix until combined.
- Divide dough in half and, on a lightly floured surface, form dough into two circles. Slice each into 8 triangles (16 total) and place on prepared baking sheet, leaving a couple of inches between each triangle.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Serve with extra coconut flakes, lime zest and a cup of coffee or tea.